Friday, July 30, 2010

Mighty is our God in Creation: Part 1

The Might of God displayed in creation...Is something that anyone who believes in God will whole-heartily acknowledge, however do we really grasp the magnitude of His might?

Firstly, we need to arrive at a working definition of might. The greek word in the Bible for might is Dynamis, which is an awesome word meaning the power, strength, and ability that resides in a thing by virtue of its nature. With this in our minds we can now move forward and explore God's incredible might in creation.

This idea of the Might of God grasped me last week while I was at the beach. We went to the Atlantic coast of Florida, and for someone who normally goes to the Gulf Coast when he goes to the beach at all, I was awed at the powerful surf, waves, and undertow of the Atlantic. I was surprised as I waded out barely15-20 feet before I could feel the invisible currents begin to tug at my legs and the 3-5 foot waves would begin to batter me back towards the land. The farther I walked out into the water, the stronger the currents became. I reached a point where I had to essentially walk sideways up-current to keep my footing. I pushed my way out into the water until I reached a sandbar where I could at least hold my ground against the current's strong pull. I was far enough out that the waves had grown to 5-10 feet.

Wave after wave hit me and I was blown backwards time and time again. I was fighting one of those battles that I could never hope to win. Ten times out of ten the ocean's strength will overcome my own. I just stood there fighting the current and waves and gazing out at the endless ocean with the blinding sun reflecting off the beautiful white caps of the waves. As I stood there, it struck me how these very waves that battered me spoke literal volumes about the incredible might and power of God displayed in His creation; and in that moment I truly saw how inadequate my view of God actually was.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1)

God created the universe. Pause and think for a moment about that incredible statement. We can make beautiful things: art, music, buildings, fantastic meals, but all of these things are made from things that previously existed. Only God can create something out of nothing. Only God has the absolute power to bring into existence something that did not previously exist. We, humans, in our pride naturally attribute a great deal to our ability, our strength, our talent, our knowledge; we marvel at our accomplishments and achievements as if only we could have done whatever it was in that exact way...But do all of our accomplishments, strength, power, ability really compare with the awesome might and power of God, who created the universe from nothing at a mere word from his mouth?

As I was out in the ocean challenging wave after wave, I could not help but take pride in the waves which I overcame; then I thought: "If the largest wave I can stand up to is less than 10 feet...how obsurd am I to boast in my own strength?" There are millions of waves that dwarf that every single day. The largest wave in recorded history was a tsunami in Alaska that was over 1700 feet tall. This wave, in the picture, below is only 100 feet in height, but it provides a perfect comparison for our discussion. It is not hard to see that whatever strength the surfer may possess, it is nothing when compared to the shear might of the massive wave toppling down upon him...and God created everything displayed in this picture, how much more mighty is He?


Every wave, from the tallest of the tall to the smallest of the small; every sunrise and sunset that splatter the sky with radiant shades of yellow, red, and blue; every mountain, from the tips of the snow-covered Alps to the rolling hills of North Dakota; every season, from the newness of spring to the splendor of fall; all of the animals from the great and fierce grizzly bear to the cute and cudly chipmunk, every plant and tree that covers the earth, from giant Redwoods of California to the tiny dandelion in your backyard; and you and me...God created all of it. When we truly gaze at His creation, we see the magnitude of the might of God and through that His incredible worth.
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power [might] and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. (Romans 1:20)
No one can be told about God's might and His inherent worth and truly grasp how these truths will impact their lives. Each person must see for themselves. The Might of God must be affirmed over and over for how quickly do we forget? How often do we only gaze upon the 10 foot waves and forget that there are 100 foot waves on the horizon. I urge us to look into a mirror and ask:

Who will we glorify most with our lives - Ourselves, by only seeing the 10 foot waves we conquer and then patting ourselves on the back; or God by pointing ourselves and others to the 100 foot waves only He can make?

There can only be one answer. We cannot truly glorify God while seeking glory and acclaim for ourselves. I urge you to search through the Bible, and look at the natural wonders all around you, for there is evidence a plently in both to show Who is truly mighty and most worthy. When I think about the 10 foot waves that are my own accomplishments and compare them with the 100 foot waves that speak to who God was, is, and will always be, I'll end with line from a Jimmy Needham song:

Will our bright lights become merely nightlights near Him?

(This time we have gazed at the Might of God in Creation, join me next time and we will explore the Might of God as a Savior and Redeemer)

3 comments:

  1. Great reminder, Andy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,
    Your mom shared the link to your blog. What great insight and maturity you express! I read your post while at the hospital with my mom (a tough day), and felt blessed by your reminders of the greatness of our God. Thank you for repeating the things you hear your Father saying.
    Sincerely,
    Sue Gay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andy, where's the second post? :-)

    ReplyDelete